Thursday, October 7, 2010

Home


Driving back from Abilene yesterday the sun was setting and casting that warmth on everything it touched as the cool air settled in behind it. It is such a gorgeous drive. The grass was still faded green with the faintest wine colored tips, set aglow by the Texas sun.


Fall reminds me so much of the evening. The kind at home with your mom in the kitchen cooking, iced tea, the evening news blaring, and that unmistakable setting sun. The kind that sends streams of tangerine light through your windows and stretches out shadows as far as they can go. Fall is that feeling of home, when it most feels like home. The year has run through it's normal routine and we are left with these long shadows to consider before winter closes in.


For me it's a time of reflection. A winding down.


This last year has changed my life in ways I could have never imagined. I've spent a lot of time trying to find home after the loss of my grandmother. She was the center of our family. We all feel lost without her.


With that and driving back and forth, trying to figure out where I was going to live and work I felt out of place. I am so blessed that as this fall settles in I have a home. A place for winding down, for cooking dinner, and creating, and welcoming the cold outside because in here I am warm and comforted.

No comments:

Post a Comment